Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monday-Tuesday

On Monday Lela, one of the members here, was kind enough to take us to some different markets and help us with our grocery shopping.
Dodoma is not much of a tourist place, there isn't much to do here, but at one supermarket there are some people that hang out there with touristy stuff. I guess if there are any foreigners they go there. We walked in and there was just one guy out there selling some dolls. When we walked out, I guess word had gotten out that there were some white people in there and they just swarmed on us! They kept handing me things to look at, my hands would be full and they'd hand be more. It was craziness!

We also went to the radio station that Lela and Baptist own. It is apparently the number one radio station in Dodoma. They have a two hour segment on Sunday morning that they play church music on.

On Tuesday Carol had some piano lessons to teach up at the University so we spent the day with Boyd. We went out to the job site and helped him get some dirt samples. He taught Kirsten and me how to use a backhoe! We dug a hole about 8 feet deep, got the samples and then we had to cover it back up again. It was a lot of fun driving big machinery like that.
My face is like that in every picture. I was pretty enchanted I guess!
After that we went to lunch and had some Chinese food. It was very strange eating Chinese food in Africa. It didn't feel right, but it tasted very delicious.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read of your wonderful adventures and I'm super glad you have family looking after you. You two cuties stay safe and have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of you on that back hoe my favorite picture of you. You just look so stoked to be scooping dirt!

    ReplyDelete